Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mothers and Daughters

The mother / daughter relationship has to be one of the most complex relationships there is.  My mom and I were always close when I was young.  She was my best friend.  Then Mom came to live with me after my father died in 1997.  This means that Mom has now been living with me for 16 years as of this writing. 

We had a massive fight this morning which has made me very sad.  She expects so much of me and I do what I'm able.  But often it's a never ending stream of demands.  At what point do I get to live my life?  Mom's going to be 88 in November so I realize that she needs a great deal of assistance.  I shouldn't even get mad at her.  But I'm so very tired of trying to please someone who will never be pleased.  She sucks the life right out of me.  I think perhaps she would be better off living in a facility with other people around her.  Unfortunately, our finances don't allow for much.  And at times, she's made me promise not to put her in a nursing home.  I then think about having someone come to our home.  Mom won't go for that as she doesn't want anyone to come into our house as "dirty" as it looks with all my crafting supplies around.  Which all means that we continue this dance of loving and hurting each other until something drastic happens.  This seems to be the curse of the baby-boomer generation. 

Thanks for letting me vent.

3 comments:

  1. Venting is good for the soul, and I understand your situation and how difficult it is. You always want to respect your mother, but sometimes moms can make that so hard to do! Hang in there, chin up :) Just put earphones on and make a card when things get tough! It's your home, and you have a right to make a mess!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your support, Carol. It was really nice to hear.

      Delete
  2. One of the many nice things of our "crafting family" is the ability to speak out and clear the mind. Although we don't have parents living with us, we see that coming soon. Smile, take a walk, and dive into your creative outlets, prayers to the both of you!

    ReplyDelete